Academic Health Science Center Declaration Statement
We the undersigned are in full support of developing an Academic Health Science Center at Riverpoint that will provide education and research to strengthen the region’s health care enterprise.
The comprehensive, research-intensive Academic Health Science Center at Riverpoint will include:
- A four-year medical school expanding the University of Washington/Washington State University medical education partnership, and expanded residency programs;
- Dentistry programs;
- A four-year pharmacy college;
- Nursing programs (bachelors’ through doctoral degrees);
- Public health programs;
- Allied health programs and
- Partnerships among a number of higher education institutions and the health care and biomedical sectors.
Furthermore, we believe that the Academic Health Science Center at Riverpoint will:
- Encourage the best and brightest of our young people to pursue careers in the health professions and sciences through pipeline programs in the K-12 system.
- Address workforce needs by expanding numbers of highly qualified graduates in the health professions who have regional connections and interests.
- Accelerate expansion of an innovation economy whereby biomedical companies are launched in and attracted to the region, new jobs are created, and research sparks technology transfer, commercialization, and economic value through improvements in prevention, treatment and practice.
- Increase access to appropriate high-quality healthcare.
- Reduce healthcare spending through community health improvements.
- Bring together students in medicine, nursing, pharmacy, exercise/nutrition and other healthcare professions to prepare them to meet the changing demands of health care in the future.
- Focus on health issues fundamental to rural and underserved areas, particularly in central and eastern Washington.
- Strengthen public and community health systems and effectively provide high-quality, cost-effective health services.
Such a center will provide ongoing, sustainable benefits and return on investment to both the central and eastern Washington region and the state of Washington.